Mixed Vegetable kootu with step by step video instructions. - Delicious, healthy karnataka style kootu with coconut and spices. As the name says it has we use mixed vegetables like beans, pumpkin, carrot, peas, and you can use any vegetables of your choice along with toor dal. This Kootu is served with rice or rotis. Please try out our authentic, Karnataka's traditional sambhar, Pumpkin Sambhar (Huli thove), which is prepared during Marriage.
Servings 8 to 10 people
Prep Time 20 minutes
Cook Time 30 to 40 minutes
- 1 cup beans Cut into 1" length pieces
- 1 cup carrots cut into big cubes
- Palm size pumpkin scoop the seeds and peel the skin and cut into big pieces
- cup ½potato or 2 small size potatoes cut into big pieces
- ½ cup chayote or one big chayote cut into big pieces
- ⅓ cup of peas you can use fresh or dry peas which are soaked overnight
- ⅓ cup peanuts
- 10 -15 curry leaves
- First wash the dal and pressure cook it by adding 4 cups of water and turmeric powder. You can also cook vegetables along with dal in a pressure cooker in a separate container, OR you can cook the vegetables on the stovetop.
- First boil 2 cups of water in big container. Add beans, peanuts and carrots first to cook because it takes longer time to cook than other vegetables
- After 2-3 minutes add chayote
- Then add potato, peas, and pumpkin along with curry leaves
- Add salt, then close the lid and reduce the heat. Let all the vegetables cook in that heat for about 10 to 12 minutes.
- In the meantime place a pan to fry the items to make masala
- First add a tsp of oil to heat up.
- Add cumin seeds and then methi seeds
- Then add channa dal and urad dal fry it until it turns golden brown
- Then add coriander seeds and dry red chillies (Byadagi red chillies). Fry them till you get an aroma from the coriander seeds
- Finally add grated coconut and fry everything together (till all the water content goes away from the coconut)
- Once it is cooled, grind it into a fine paste by adding water as needed.
- Now add this ground paste to cooked vegetables and allow it to boil for few more minutes.
- After 5-6 minutes add cooked dal and a little bit of water until you get a good consistency (Not too thick and not too thin)
- Allow everything to mix well and boil for another 5-7 minutes, then add the seasoning.
To prepare seasoning:
- Heat 1 tbs of oil in a pan.
- Add mustard seeds, while popping add hing
- Add this seasoning to Kootu and switch off the stove.
- Now Kootu is ready to serve.