Pumpkin sambar or HuLi thove( sihigumbaLa kaayi ), is a traditional signature dish in south indian weddings especially Karnataka. This Pumpkin Sambar (popularly known as marriage sambar), along with ash guard Majjige HuLi, is an out of this world combination. This traditional sambar goes very well with rice and as a side dish to all the types of rottis.
- Main Ingredients
- 3 cups cut pumpkin
- 1/2 cup toor dal
- 3 cups water
- 3 tsp salt or to taste
- 2 tsp oil
- 1/2 to 1 tsp Jaggery
- small marble sized tamarind soaked in water
- For Seasoning
- 1 1/2 tsp oil
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- little hing
- For Masala
- around 1/2 tsp oil
- 3 tsp coriander seeds
- 5-6 byadagi red chillies
- 1½ inch cinnamon stick
- 1 tsp channa dal
- 1 tsp urad dal
- 1 clove optional
- For grinding:
- 1/4 cup coconut
- fried above mentitoned masala ingredients
- soaked tamarind along with water
Pumpkin Sambar (Huli Thove) / Marriage Sambar
- Wash and cook the toor dal in a pressure cooker adding 1 cup of water.
- Keep around 2 cups of water in a medium pan to boil.
- Once it starts to boil, add pumpkin pieces and let it cook on medium heat until it is half cooked.
- Meanwhile, heat 1/2 teaspoon of oil on a medium low in a pan.
- Fry channa dal, Urad Dal, clove, coriander seeds, byadagi red chillies, and cinnamon, until dals turns golden brown.
- Allow it to cool.
- Grind coconut along with fried masala, soaked tamarind with the water to fine paste (add water if needed).
- Add this paste along with cooked dal to the half cooked pumpkin. Then add salt, jaggery, and mix well.
- Let it boil on medium heat until we get the froth on the top. It may take 7 to 8 minutes.
- Then turn off the heat and add the seasoning.
To prepare Seasoning
- Heat the oil in ladle.
- Once it is hot enough add mustard seeds and hing.
- Once the mustard seeds pops turn off the heat and add it to the Sambar.
- Enjoy the Marriage sambar or the Huli Thove along with majjige huLi.