- Wash and pressure cook toor dal with 1½ cups of water (medium heat 2 whistles) and keep it ready
- Keep 2 cups of water in a medium size pan to boil.
- Cut potatoes to around inch cubes and keep it in water.
- Chop the onions and keep it ready.
- Once the water starts to boil, add cut potato(discard water) and onion.
- To the half cooked potato, add salt, rasam and vangibath powder along with curry leaves and jaggery. Mix it well.
- Let it cook on medium heat for 7 to 8 minutes.
- Stir in between. Add coconut and squeeze the tamarind juice. Allow it to boil.
- After 8 to 9 minutes turn off the heat and prepare the seasoning.
- Heat the oil in ladle, once it is hot enough add hing, mustard seeds,
- Once the mustard seed pops add broken red chillis and turn off the heat.
- Add this to sambar and Sambar is ready now !