This Sambar Powder is an authentic mysore style and this recipe is from my mother.
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 2 tablespoon channa dal
- 2 tablespoon urad dal
- 2 tablespoon cumin seeds/jeera
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon methi/fenugreek seeds
- pinch of asafoetida
- 1/4 cup dried coconut another option: You can skip adding dried coconut now and add fresh coconut when making sambar
- 1/2 cup coriander/ dhania
- 60 to 65 byadgi red chillies or 35 byadgi and 25 to 30 other variety
Mysore Style Sambar Powder
- Heat oil in a pan on medium high heat.
- Once the oil is hot enough, add channa dal and urad dal. Fry it until it turns golden brown.
- Now add hing, mustard seeds, jeera, methi seeds and red chillies. Fry this until the red chillies becomes warm.
- Add coriander seeds and dried coconut. Fry it for another 45 to 50 seconds.
- Turn of the heat and let it cool completely.
- Then grind this to a fine powder. Put the powder in the pan and mix it really well.
- Now the sambar powder is ready. Store it in a container and use it to make sambar.