Okra/BendekAi is a low calorie vegetable that is rich in VItamin B, Vitamin C, folic acid, calcium and dietary fiber. Here is the Ladies finger gojju recipe, the way my mother does! Gojju is a gravy which can be used with rice or as a side dish for rotti, and rotis.
- 2 cups of cut okra
- 2 TBSP oil
- 1/2 tbsp Jaggery
- marble sized tamarind soaked in water
- 2 cups of water
- Little turmeric powder
- 1 tsp salt
- FOR GRINDING:
- ¾ cup shredded coconut
- 1 TBSP chopped cilantro /coriander leaves
- ¾ tsp mustard seeds
- 1½ tsp dry roasted sesame seeds
- 4 to 5 green chillies
- FOR SEASONING:
- Remaining Oil
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- Little hing / asafoetida
Okra / Ladies Finger / Bendi Gojju
- Wash and dry the okra/Bendi thoroughly and cut into 2cm pieces. (Drying is very important, make sure your knife and cutting board are also dry before you cut bendi/ ladies finger)
METHOD FOR PREPARING LADIES FINGER GOJJU:
- Dry roast the sesame seeds and transfer it to the mixer jar.
- Grind the ingredients listed under “For grinding” along with some water to fine paste. Keep it aside.
- Keep the same pan back on the stove and heat 1 ½ TBSP oil.
- Once it is hot, add the cut okra. Fry it for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Then add salt and curry leaves, mix it, and cover the plate. Let it cook for a few more minutes.
- Now squeeze the tamarind juice to okra, cover it and let it cook for another few minutes.
- Add the ground paste, jaggery, and remaining water along with turmeric powder and let it cook for 5 to 8 minutes on medium low heat. Then turn off the heat.
- Finally add seasoning.
- Heat the oil in a ladle on medium heat.
- Add hing and mustard seeds.
- Once the mustard seeds pop, pour it onto the Gojju.