Instant Puliyogare Powder Recipe with step by step pictures -tastes exactly like temple prasadam. Puliyogare is ever popular Iyengar dish. Though we get the MTR instant puliyogare mix, home made always taste better and different. And I should mention here, it is easy to prepare and tastes awesome. If you are traveling and option to cook rice, this instant mix comes real handy.
- big lemon size tamarind
- 1 TBSP chana dal
- 4 tsp cumin seeds/jeera
- 2 tsp coriander seeds
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- little less than 1 tsp methi seeds/fenugreek seeds
- 1 TBSP salt
- 1 to 2 tsp oil
- 2 TBSP black sesame seeds
- 1.5 tsp black pepper
- little hing
- 4 Byadagi dried red chillies
- 4 guntur red chillies
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 2 TBSP oil
- 1.5 TBSP urad dal
- 1 TBSP chana dal
- 1/4 cup peanuts
- curry leaves
- 2 red chillies broken into pieces
Puliyogare Powder Recipe
- Heat the pan and dry roast all the ingredients separately. Dry roast chana dal until it turns golden brown. Transfer it to a separate plate.
- Dry roast methi seeds until it pops and turns brown. Transfer it to a different plate.
- Likewise, dry roast Cumin seeds,
- Sesame seeds
- Mustard seeds, and transfer it to a plate.
- Now keep the pan back, heat 1/2 tsp oil. Add hing. Fry the black pepper, add red chillies. Once the chillies becomes warm, add coriander seeds, Mix it and turn off the heat and add the other dry roasted ingredients.(except sesame and chana dal)
- Heat a tsp oil in a pan and warm the tamarind. Allow it to cool.
- Once tamarind is cooled completely, powder it with chana dal. It is ok to have some small pieces of tamarind. Transfer it to a plate.
- Now grind the roasted spices along with turmeric powder. To that add jaggery and tamarind chanadal mix. Powder it and finally add roasted sesame seeds and pulse it once or twice.
- Heat 2 TBSP oil in a pan on medium heat. Once the oil is hot enough add hing, mustard seeds once it pops, add the dals and peanuts.
- Fry it until the dals turns golden brown. Now add broken chillies and curry leaves. Mix it and after few seconds turn of the heat and leave it for few minutes.
- Now add the prepared powder and mix it well.
- Now the instant Puliyogare Powder is ready. Once it is cooled completely store it in a bottle.
- To mix with rice, place required amount of the powder in a plate. Put the hot rice on top. Leave it for 5 minutes. Then mix it and enjoy!
If you don't have the black sesame seeds you can use white one.
Tamarind has to be crisp to grind.
This instant powder can be stored in the refrigerator for an year.