For any breakfast like dosa, idli, chapati ... side dish is very important. Each breakfast dish has its own combination. This recipe is chutney for idli. Many years ago my friend prepared this chutney, it tastes exactly like hotel/restaurant chutney. Simple yet delicious :)
Servings 4 to 6 people
Prep Time 5 minutes
Cook Time 5 minutes
- ¼ to ½ cup grated coconut
- ½ cup hurigadale/fried gram dal/putani
- Small lemon size tamarind soakedwater
- 4 to 8 green chillies
- 10 to 15 curry leaves few to grind and few for seasoning
- 1 inch fresh ginger
- 1 tsp Jaggery
- ¾ to 1 tsp salt
- 1½ cup water
- 2 to 3 tsp oil
- pinch of hing
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 tsp urad dal
- Grind coconut, dal, jaggery, ginger,chillies,4 to 5 curry leaves, tamarind along with soaked water(make sure there are no seeds) and water to a fine paste. I used around 1¼ water.
- Transfer the chutney to a bowl.
- Now prepare the seasoning:
- Heat oil in ladle on medium heat, once the oil is hot enough add hing, mustard seeds, once it pops
- Add urad dal and fry it until dal turns golden brown, add curry leaves and turn of the heat.
- Pour this seasoning on the chutney and mix it .
- Enjoy this chutney with soft idlis :)
Soft Idli recipe click here:
Masala Idli Recipe Click here:
For Brown Rice Idli recipe click here: