Mallige Idli recipe | Soft Idli recipe
Idli's are one of the healthiest breakfasts of Karnataka. There are many variations in making this idli. This Mallige Idli recipe is from one of the restaurants, a small one, in Mysore. They prepare amazing Idli and Coconut Chutney.
- 1/2 cup cup urad dal blackdal
- 1 cup rice or idli rava
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup avalakki / Poha
- 2 tablespoon curd (optional to make it diary free(vegan) I skipped it)
[the_ad id="4800"]Mallige Idli recipe
Method for making Idli batter:
- Wash and soak urad dal in 1½ cups of water for 3 to 4 hours.
- Wash and soak rice and avalakki in a different vessel for 3 to 4 hours.
- Grind the urad dal along with the soaked water into a fine paste.
- If you are using idli rava, add it to the urad dal paste and mix well in a big container.
- Then add the soaked avalakki and rice (if not using idli rava) after draining the water. Grind it to a coarse consistency.
- If you are using curd, add it now. Batter should not be too watery.
- Now transfer the batter to a big vessel and add salt. Mix well.
- Cover it with the lid and let it ferment overnight. To do so, warm the oven for a minute (don’t forget to turn off) and keep this in the oven.
How to make idlis:
- Grease the idli plates with oil or ghee. Beat the fermented batter with the ladle and pour it on the greased idli plates.
- Place the prepared idli stand in the cooker and steam cook this for 12 to 14 minutes.
- Turn off the heat and wait for 2 to 3 minutes, and then take the idlis out.
- Enjoy the hot mallige idlis with sambar or chutney!
Try this Idli recipe with coconut chutney recipe from the same restaurant in Mysore.
Please checkout our other healthy idli recipes