Who doesn’t know Uddina Vade/ urad dal vada ? In every south Indian restaurant the popular breakfast combo is Idli – Vada. Udrad dal / Black gram dal vade is very delicious and healthy snack to kids compared to the Kurkure! One cup of black lentil contains 13 grams of protein, high fiber and rich in Vitamins along with calcium, iron, copper, magnesium ….
Coming back to vada, it can be consumed as it is, or with coconut chutney or with sambar or with masala Yogurt aka Mosaru Vade or thayir Vada.
- 1 cup urad dal/ black gram lentil / Uddina bele
- ½ to 1 TBSP chana dal optional
- 1 tbsp rice flour
- 1 TBSP chopped ginger
- 2 TBSP chopped coriander leaves/cilantro
- 1¼ tsp salt or sal to taste
- 6 to 8 leaves curry chopped
- 1 to 2 TBSP chopped coconut pieces optional
- Around ½ cup water
- 2 green chillies
- ½ to 1 tsp black pepper crushed
- Oil to fry the vade
Urad dal Vada Recipe
- Wash and soak the dals in 2 cups of water for 3 to 4 hours minimum.
- Drain the water and grind the dal along with green chilli adding little water at a time until you get the light and fluffy dough.( You can use the wet grinder for this)
- I used around ½ cup water(less 1 TBSP).
- Transfer this batter to the bowl, add chopped cilantro, curry leaves, crushed pepper. Ginger and salt. Mix it well using the hand, It helps to get the light and fluffy batter.
- Heat the oil required to fry the vade in a pan on medium heat.
- Once the oil is hot enough, wet the hands with, take a 2 to3 TBSP of the vada batter ( or small ball size) make the whole in the center using the thumb, and put this in the hot oil. Add more, depending on the amount of oil you are using for frying.
- Fry the vade until it turns golden brown on both sides. Remove it from the oil onto a paper towel or colander.
- Repeat the same procedure with the remaining batter. Make sure to wet your hand for making the vade shape.
- Enjoy hot Vada with chutney or sambar or Rasam.