Cucumber Mango Sambar Recipe, How to Make Sambar Recipes
Few years back when my co-sister said I am making mango cucumber sambar, I was really surprised. Sambar with ripe Mango? With green mango ok but with the ripe mango? She said taste it and then comment, yeah! she is absolutely right, it is awesome sambar with sour and sweet from the mango and unique flavor from the Mangalore variety cucumber/dosakai. Here in US we don't get variety mangos but if you are in India or where you can find these lovely small mangos you should try this Sambar to experience the taste.
Servings 5 to 6 people
Prep Time 15 minutes
Cook Time 20 minutes
- Wash the mangoes and keep it ready.
- wash and cut the cucumber, scoop and discard the seeds.
- Wash and pressure cook the dal and cut cucumber on medium heat ( 2 whistle are enough) along with turmeric powder and 2 cups of water.
- Grind coconut and rasam powder along with water to a fine paste.
- Remove the mango skin and keep it as whole mango in a pan . Keep the peels in a plate.
- Add water and extract all the remaining pulp from mango peel.
- Add this water to the peeled mango. Add the grind masala. Add water to the mixer jar, add this to the pan.
- Once it just stars boiling, add the cooked dal and cucumber , add salt, jaggery and curry leaves, allow it to boil on medium heat for 5 to 8 minutes.
- Turn off the heat and garnish with chopped coriander leaves.
- Heat 1 tsp ghee in a ladle. Once it is hot enough add mustard seeds. Once the mustard seeds pops, add cumin seeds. Turn off and add hing. Add the prepared seasoning to the sambar.
- Enjoy this sour sweet Mango-Cucumber Sambar with Rice.
- Rasam Powder recipe click here:
- dosakai / mangalore cucumber is recommended for this recipe.
- You can cook the cucumber separately on stovetop.