Cucumber Mango Sambar Recipe, How to Make Sambar Recipes
Few years back when my co-sister said I am making mango cucumber sambar, I was really surprised. Sambar with ripe Mango? With green mango ok but with the ripe mango? She said taste it and then comment, yeah! she is absolutely right, it is awesome sambar with sour and sweet from the mango and unique flavor from the Mangalore variety cucumber/dosakai. Here in US we don't get variety mangos but if you are in India or where you can find these lovely small mangos you should try this Sambar to experience the taste.
- 1/2 of big cucumber/dosakai
- 6 to 8 mangos reduce the number if it is sour,
- 1/2 cup toor dal
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup fresh coconut
- 1 TBSP salt/ salt to taste
- 2 TBSP Rasam Powder
- little chopped cilantro /coriander leaves
- few curry leaves
- marble size Jaggery
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- For seasoning:
- 1 tsp ghee
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds/jeera
- 1/4 tsp mustard seeds
- pinch asafoetida/hing
[the_ad id="4800"]Cucumber Mango Sambar Recipe, How to Make Sambar Recipes
- Wash the mangoes and keep it ready.
- wash and cut the cucumber, scoop and discard the seeds.
- Wash and pressure cook the dal and cut cucumber on medium heat ( 2 whistle are enough) along with turmeric powder and 2 cups of water.
- Grind coconut and rasam powder along with water to a fine paste.
- Remove the mango skin and keep it as whole mango in a pan . Keep the peels in a plate.
- Add water and extract all the remaining pulp from mango peel.
- Add this water to the peeled mango. Add the grind masala. Add water to the mixer jar, add this to the pan.
- Once it just stars boiling, add the cooked dal and cucumber , add salt, jaggery and curry leaves, allow it to boil on medium heat for 5 to 8 minutes.
- Turn off the heat and garnish with chopped coriander leaves.
- Rasam Powder recipe click here:
- dosakai / mangalore cucumber is recommended for this recipe.
- You can cook the cucumber separately on stovetop.