Cabbage palya or curry is always a ignored dish. This is one of a kind curry my mother makes it and goes very well with rice. You can prepare the cabbage rice using this curry and you should try this. Research say cabbage when steam cooked helps to reduce the cholesterol. Also rich in Vitamin K, and sulphur. Here is the mustard flavored cabbage curry recipe from my mother.
Servings 4 people
Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 15 minutes
- Chop the cabbage as shown.
- Pressure cook the cut cabbage without adding water to it.
- Cooked Cabbage.
- Grind ingredients listed under "for grinding" (coconut, mustard seeds, roasted methi seeds, turmeric powder, tamarind, jaggery and coriander leaves) to a coarse mix.
- Looks like this.
Prepare the seasoning:
- Heat 3 TBSP oil in a pan on medium heat. Once it is hot enough add hing, mustard seeds. Once the mustards seeds pops add channa dal and urad dal. Fry it until the dal turns golden brown. Add the prepared masala and the curry leaves and mix it well.
- Let it cook for few minutes.
- Add the cooked cabbage along with salt.
- Mix it well. Let it cook on medium low heat for 5 minutes.
- Now turn off the heat and mustard flavored cabbage curry is ready to eat with rice, roti or as a side dish to your main meal.
- If you like you can add peanuts or cashews when preparing the seasoning.