Plain Dosa is one of the healthy breakfasts of Karnataka. There are varieties of ways we can prepare Dosa. This Bangalore Special Plain dosa is one the popular varieties. This recipe was noted down years back in an Iyer’s mess in Bangalore. They use to prepare excellent plain dosa, kaali dosa and set dosa.
Ingredients for Plain Dosa Recipe:
- 1½ cup rice
- ½ cup urad dal
- 1 tsp menthya/fenugreek seeds
- 2 TBSP Poha/avalakki
- 1¼ tsp salt/ salt to taste 3 to 4 cups of water
Serves 3 to 4 people
How to make Plain Dosa Batter:
- Wash and soak rice, methi seeds, avalakki and urad dal in 2 cups of water for 4 to 5 hours or overnight.
- Grind the soaked ingredients to fine paste. Use the water accordingly.
- (if you are using mixer, use less water and if it is grinder, we may need more water)
- Final consistency should not be too thick or too thin.
- Finally add the salt and pulse it on more time.
- Transfer the batter to a another container (it should be half empty) cover this, keep it in a warm place and let it ferment overnight or 10 to 12 hours.
- If you have an oven, warm this for 2 minutes and keep the batter in the oven to ferment.
To make Plain Dosa:
- Mix the fermented batter well.
- Heat the greased tava/skillet on medium heat.
- Once it is hot enough (to check sprinkle water on hot tava, you should hear the strong sizzling sound) pour a ladle of dosa batter in the center, spread the batter from the center in a circular motion to make a circle.
- Add the oil to the center, around the edges and cover it with a lid.
- Once the dosa turns golden brown, remove from the tava and serve hot with coconut chutney or chutney of your choice.
- Repeat the same procedure for the remaining batter.