Dose/Dosai/Dosa is a very popular breakfast in southern part of India. We have so many different varieties of dose, though all looks almost the same but taste and flavor is unique to the variety.
When you go to any south Indian restaurants the menu says MASALA DOSA, SAADA (PLAIN)DOSA, SET DOSA.. so on.. Here we have Khali dosa recipe from a restaurant chef. This khali dosa is soft, and spongy and Gluten free. Usage of oil is also very low compared to other dosa’s.
Khali Dosa Recipe
- 1 cup rice any rice is fine
- 1/2 cup thick avalakki/poha
- 2 TBSP urad dal
- 1 tsp fenugreek seeds/menthya
- around 1 tsp salt
- 2.5 to 3 cups water
- Wash rice, avalakki/aval/poha, methi seeds and urad dal thoroughly and add water (around 2 to 2.5 cups of water). Soak this for 5 to 6 hours.
- Grind it to a fine paste. Grinder is always the best option, but you can grind it in any blender/mixer. Add water accordingly.
- Grind it to a fine paste like this.
- Transfer it to a big bowl/container. Add salt Mix it really well.
- Cover it and keep the batter in a warm place to ferment.( overnight or 8 to 10 hours)
- The well fermented batter looks like this, you can see lots of bubbles. This is very important to get good khali dose.
- Grease and heat the skillet on medium heat. Once the skillet is hot enough, pour half is tsp oil in the middle and spread it like this..
- Mix the better once again and take a ladle of batter and pour it in the center, do not spread it. ( batter should not be too thick or too thin)
- Keep the heat between medium to medium low, cover it and cook it for a minute or so.
- This dose has to puff up with lots of wholes and it looks like this.. No need to flip and cook. Remove the dosa on to a plate.
- Before making the next dosa, put the oil/ghee/butter on the skillet and repeat the same procedure to make more. Enjoy the Khali Dosa with Vegetable Sagu or ghee or butter.