Sambar Recipe – Dill leaves and Black Chana
Sambar/ HuLi is the most common dish in south Indian Kitchen. We use different combinations of vegetables, different spice mix to make it more interesting. Today’s recipe is Sambar with dill leaves(sabbasige soppu) and Black/brown/kala chana(kadale kaalu). Very nutritious and delicious Sambar goes well with rice, and Raagi Mudde.
Here is the step by step instructions to "How to make this healthy DIll leaves and Chana Sambar"
- 1/2 cup toor dal
- around 3 to 4 cup water
- 1 cup finely chopped dill leaves/sabbasige soppu wash and chop
- 1/2 cup soaked kala chana/Black chana soak 1/4 cup whole chana overnight or 4 to 6 hours
- 1 1/4 to 1.5 tsp salt salt to taste
- small piece Jaggery
- 1/8 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup grated fresh coconut
- small piece onion optional
- 4 tsp Rasam Powder
- 1/2 tsp rice
- 1 tsp coriander seeds
- small key lime size tamarind soak in 1/4 cup water
- For Seasoning:
- 2 tsp oil
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- Pinch of Hing/asafoetida
[the_ad id="4800"]Sambar Recipe - Dill leaves and Black Chana
- Wash and chop the dill leaves.
- Keep the soaked chana ready.
- wash the dal few times and pressure cook this dal with chopped dill leaves, soaked chana, little oil and turmeric powder along with 1.5 to 2 cups of water. ( on medium heat, 2 whistles)
- Dry roast rice and coriander seeds until the rice turns white.
- Grind coconut, roasted coriander seeds and rice, rasam powder, onion along with soaked tamarind(along with water) to a fine paste.
- Once the pressure cooker cooled completely, transfer the cooked ingredients to a medium sized pan.
- Add salt, the ground masala, jaggery, and water ( enough to get the right consistency). Mix it well. allow it to cook on medium heat for 8 to 10 minutes. Make sure to stir in between.
- After 8 to 10 minutes turn off the heat. Prepare the seasoning. Heat 2 tsp oil in a ladle. Once it is hot enough add hing, and mustard seeds. Once the mustard seeds pops, turn off the heat, pour this seasoning on prepared Sambar.
- Enjoy this Dill and Chana Sambar with rice , Raagi Mudde.
You can either grind the tamarind along with coconut or you can squeeze the soaked tamarind later .