The taste of chutney prepared using the vegetables are so heavenly and healthy. Simple yet finger-licking chutneys can be prepared using any vegetable of your choice, to name a few cabbage, carrot, cauliflower….. I am sharing the Ridge Gourd /heerekayi chutney recipe here. You might have eaten the chutney using the ridge gourd peels, here i am using the whole vegetables. It is a must try chutney goes well with hot rice with little ghee/oil, dosey, idli, rotti, rotis…
Here is the step by step instructions for making the healthy Ridge Gourd Chutney:
- 1 ridge gourd heerekaayi
- 1/2 cup fresh / frozen coconut
- 1/2 small onion cut into 2 to 3 pieces
- 1/4 cup hurigadale/fried gram dal/pottu kadalai
- 4 to 5 green chillies cut in to 2 piece
- 1 tsp oil to roast the heerekayi and other ingredients
- 1 TSP salt
- small marble size tamarind soaked in water
- 1 tsp Jaggery
- 1 cup water
- For Seasoning:
- 2 tsp oil
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 tsp urad dal
Ridge Gourd Chutney Recipe | Heerekayi chatni
- Wash and keep the ridge gourd ready.
- Cut it into fairly small pieces
- Heat the oil in a pan on medium heat and add cut green chillies, chopped onion and heerekayi.
- Fry it until the ridge gourd half cooked.
- Turn off the heat and add the remaining ingredients, mix it and allow it to cool before grinding.
- Add water and grind the above mix into coarse consistency.
- Like this.
- Transfer the Chatni to a bowl and prepare the seasoning. Heat oil in a ladle on medium heat, once the oil is hot enough add mustard seeds . Once the mustard seeds pops add urad dal, fry it until dal turns golden brown. Turn off the heat and add this prepared seasoning to the Hirekayi chutney. Enjoy chatni with hot rice, Dose, idli, chapathi and on toasted bread too :)