Okra / bendekaayi Curry
Eating more more of vegetable is always good for the health. Okra is highly nutritious, it helps in reducing the weight too. Making this kind of palya help us to consume more vegetables. Simple to make, yet delicious to eat.
Okra or lady finger is a low calorie high fiber vegetable. These are rich source of anti-oxidants, minerals and vitamins. Bendekaayi/okra is very good for the weight reduction. Here is simple recipe for making palya or curry using okra.
- 4 cups cut okra / bendekayi Wask and dry the okra completely before cutting
- 1/4 cup fresh / frozen coconut
- For seasoning:
- 3 TBSP oil
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- 1/2 TBSP urad dal
- 1/2 TBSP chana dal
- 4 to 5 dry red chillies
- few curry leaves
- 2 to 3 TBSP chopped cilantro /coriander leaves
- 1 tsp salt
[the_ad id="4800"]Okra / bendekaayi Curry
- First wash and dry the okra throughly . Drying is very important otherwise we get that gooeyness while cooking.
- Heat the oil on medium heat.Once it is hot enough, add mustard seeds. Once the mustard seeds pops, add chana dal and urad dal. Fry it until dal turns golden brown. Then add red chillies and curry leaves.
- Add cut okra and mix it well. Cover it and cook it for 5 minutes or until it becomes tender. Add salt, coconut and cilantro. Mix it well.
- Now the simple okra curry ready to eat just as it is or with rotis, or as side dish to rasam/sambar.
I don't use nonstick utensils in my cooking for healthy cooking, for Okra we have to use little more oil to avoid sticking to the bottom of the pan. As long as you are using unrefined oil, it is ok to use more more oil.