As I mentioned in my earlier sambar recipes, sambar or huLi is our staple side dish for everyday meal. We prepare the sambar in many different ways and with different vegetables. Each sambar is unique in its taste. Here is the another mouthwatering mixed vegetable sambar recipe
- 1/2 cup toor dal
- hand ful of beans or 10 to 15 bens
- 1 kohlrabi/navil kol/navilu kosu
- 3 small carrots or 1 big carrot
- little turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp Jaggery
- 2 tsp salt or salt to taste
- 4 to 5 cup water
- For Masala
- 4 to 5 byadagi red chillies
- 4 tsp coriander seeds/dania
- 1 tsp fenugreek seeds/menthya
- 1/4 tsp oil
- For grinding:
- 1/2 cup grated coconut
- above said roasted masala ingredients
- small key lime size tamarind soaked in water
- For seasoning:
- 2 tsp oil/ghee
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- Little asafoetida/hing
- 1 red chilli broken into pieces optional
mixed vegetable sambar recipe, how to make Sambar recipes
- Wash toor dal and vegetables thoroughly.
- Soak the tamarind in water and keep it aside.
- Cut beans (1 inch long),peel the carrot skin and cut into small cubes, peel the kohlrabi skin and cut into cubes .
- To the washed toor dal, add 2cups of water along with turmeric powder, little oil and the cut vegetables. Pressure cook this on medium heat, 2 whistles are enough.
- Now in a small pan heat 1/2 tsp oil, roast the coriander seeds, methi seeds and red chillies until methi seeds changes its color.
- Grind the roasted masala along with coconut and tamarind along with water into a coarse paste as shown.
- Once the cooker is cool enough, transfer it to a medium size pan.
- Add the prepared masala paste and add some water, salt. Mix it well and let it boil on a medium heat for 8 to 10 minutes.
- You can add some curry leaves too. Once you get the froth on top turn off the heat.
To Prepare the seasoning: