When I was reading about this seemebadane kayi/chayote Chayote/Bangalore Brinjal/Chow Chow I found out it is actually a fruit. I always though it is a vegetable. Chayote is low calorie, high fiber squash with excellent source of Vitamin C, and folate. Seeme badanekaayi also contains antioxidant flavonoids that help to destroy harmful free radicals. We can make chutney, sambar and use this with many other vegetables and also see many Mexican dishes calls for Chayote.For weight loss this is one of the fruit/vegetable you should add to your diet. Here is a simple recipe of Chayote palya/Stir fry.
- 2 medium size seemebadane kayi/chayote Chayote/Bangalore Brinjal/Chow Chow
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3 TBSP fresh coconut
- For seasoning:
- 2 tsp unrefined coconut oil/any oil
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- 2 green chillies or
- 1 serrano pepper cut into half or small pieces
- pinch hing
- 1 tsp urad dal
- pinch turmeric powder
- few curry leaves
- 1 to 2 TBSP water use only if needed
- 2 TBSP chopped cilantro /coriander leaves
Chayote Squash/Seeme badanekaayi Stir Fry Recipe, How to make Seemebadane kayi Palya Recipe
- Wash and cut the chayote squash to small pieces. If the skin is tender don't peel the skin. Same is with the seeds. If it is tender use it else discard. We will get around 3 cups of cut chayote.
- Heat the 2 tsp oil in a pan on medium heat. Once the oil is hot enough add mustard seeds, once it pops add hing and urad dal. Fry it until the dal turns golden brown. Then add chillies and curry leaves fry it for few seconds.
- Now add the cut chayote squash, turmeric powder ad salt.
- Mix it well. Add little water. Cover it and cook it for 5 to 8 minutes on medium heat or until the water evaporates. ( Stir in between to make sure it is not burning.)
- Finally add the chopped cilantro/coriander leaves and coconut.
- Mix it well and let it be on the stove for few seconds and then turn off.
- Enjoy this delicious, simple and healthy Palya with chapathi, rice and as a side dish to rasam .