Broccoli belongs to cabbage family. Broccoli is rich in Vitamin A, Vitamin K and Vitamin C. Broccoli is rich in antioxidants.
Health Benefits of Broccoli Chutney
Broccoli is rich in Vitamin K and Vitamin A, which helps to keep the metabolism of vitamin D in balance. Vitamin D helps in absorption of calcium. If deficient in Vitamin D and taking supplements, please make sure to include Broccoli in diet.
Broccoli helps is maintaining a healthy eyesight due to it is high content of Vitamin A
Broccoli chutney contains Broccoli and Garlic, together they have a lot of anti-inflammatory benefits.
Broccoli is very rich in Vitamin C, supports our immune system.
Broccoli contains lot of very crucial phyto-nutrients.
This chutney’s ingredients is packed with major minerals, like, Magnesium, Iron and Potassium.
- 2 cups of chopped broccoli you can use tender stem too
- 2 tbsp channa dal Chickpeas
- 1 tbs of urad dal Black Gram
- ½ tsp cumin seeds
- 1 small marble size tamarind can replace with 1 TSP of freshly squeezed lemon juice
- ¾ tsp salt
- 5 to 6 green chillies
- 1 clove garlic
- 2 tbs oil
- For seasoning (optional if used as dressing or for dip's):
- 1 tsp oil
- ½ tsp mustard seeds
- pinch of hing Skip this for gluten free recipe
- ¾ cup of water to grind
- Heat a tablespoon of oil in a pan.
- Once it is heated add cumin seeds, urad dal (Black Gram) and channa dal (Chickpeas) and green chilies. Fry it until the dals turns golden brown color.
- Add garlic and tamarind as well. Transfer this onto a plate.
- Now add a tablespoon of oil to the same pan. Put the cut broccoli and saute it until it is tender(3 to 4 minutes). Then add salt, turn off the heat, and let it cool. DO NOT overcook.
- Coarse grind this mixture along with fried dals and chillies in a mixer, adding water.
- Transfer to a bowl and add the seasoning on top.
- Heat 1 tsp oil in a pan.
- Add mustard seeds, and when it pops, add hing/asafoetida.
- Turn off the heat and add this seasoning to the chutney.
- You can enjoy this chutney as sandwich spread, vegetable or tortilla dip or as a side dish for rotti, roti, and also with hot rice.
If you have goiter or hypothyroidism, may need to limit the intake due to Goitrogens, a natural chemical found in Broccoli. Steaming or sautéing will reduce the negative effect of Goitrogens, according to Dr. Weil. If you have hypothyroidism, it would better to be educated about Goitrogens.