bitter gourd gojju recipe how to make gojju recipes
Bitter gourd /hagalakaayi/karela is very healthy but bitter vegetable. Many people like the bitterness of this hagalkaayi but some of us needs some sweetness in the dishes. So we prepare this karela with right amount of sweet and sour ingredients to make it more appetizing to consume this hagalkaayi. This is another variety of gojju/gravy using this bitter gourd.
Servings 2 to 4 people
Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 15 minutes
- Keep the ingredients ready.
- wash and cut the bitter gourd/hagalkaayi into small cubes. Discard the seeds.
- Heat the oil in a pan on medium heat. Once the oil is hot add mustard seeds, once the mustard seeds pops add urad dal, fry it until it turns golden brown.Now add the cut hagalakayi, cuury leaves and turmeric powder mix well and fry this for 6 to 8 minutes.
- Meanwhile, dry roast 1 tbsp urad dal until it turns golden brown.
- Grind coconut,chillies, soaked tamarind along with water, mustard seeds and the roasted urad dal to a coarse consistency. Add water if needed.
- Add this grind paste to hagalkayi, add jaggery,salt and water and let it cook for 8 to 10 minutes on medium low heat until the gravy/gojju becomes thick.
- Turn off the heat. Garnish with cilantro. Enjoy the haagalkayi / bitter gourd gojju with rice, rotis,dosa and rotti.