Bitter Gourd Curry Recipe, How to make Gojju Recipes
Bitter Gourd aka Karela, hagala kaayi .. is as the name says it is bitter in taste but has enormous health benefits. With mustard and coconut gravy it is too good. Adding jaggery is optional but my mom says adding jaggery to it reduces it pitta effect. People with diabetes skip adding jaggery. My kids love this gojju with rotti, hot rice and even with chapati.
Servings 3 to 4 people
Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 20 minutes
- Wash and chop the bitter gourd and keep it ready. Dry roast the sesame seeds and keep it aside.
- Heat 3 TBSP oil in a thick bottom pan. Add hing, mustard seeds. Once the seeds pops add curry leaves and chopped bitter gourd. Also add turmeric powder, mix it well and fry it until the bitter gourd turns golden brown. It may take 10 minutes on medium flame. Stir in between.
- Meanwhile, grind coconut, green chillies, sesame seeds, coriander leaves and soaked tamarind along with water to a fine paste. You can add more water while grinding.
- Once the bitter gourd turns brown color, add the masala, jaggery and salt. And more water to get the desired consistency. I used around 1.5 cups of water.
- Let it boil for 10 to 15 minutes on medium low heat. After 10 to 15 minutes, consistency will become little thick. Turn off the heat.
- Enjoy this gojju with rice, rotti, chapati and dOse.