For lunch box we need some easy rice recipes. Vegetable Rice/bath is always a winner. One of the easiest and flavorful rice bath is using Tomato. This Tomato bath is very delicious and easy to make too. Again there are many ways it can be prepared, I am using vangibath powder to make this yummy Tomato Rice.
- 2 cup cooked rice sona masuri or basmati
- 1/4 Cup fresh peas Optional
- 4 medium size tomatoes
- 2 to 3 TBSP Vangibath powder
- 1.5 tsp salt/salt to taste
- Few curry leaves
- For Seasoning:
- 3 TBSP oil
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 tsp urad dal
- pinch of hing
- 1/8 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp oil
- 3 to 4 TBSP cashews or peanuts
Tomato Rice Recipe How to make Tomato bath Recipe
- Wash and cut the tomatoes.
- Keep the Rice ready. ( 1 cup rice add 2 cups of water and little oil, either pressure cook it or use the rice cooker) .Once the rice is ready spread it on a plate and allow it to cool.
- Heat 3 TBSP oil on medium heat in a thick bottom pan.. Once the oil is hot enough add mustard seeds, once it pops add hing and urad dal. Fry it until the dal turns golden brown.
- Then add curry leaves, cut tomatoes , peas and turmeric powder. Mix it well.
- It will be very watery like this.
- cover it and cook it for 5 minutes on medium heat. Then add the vangibath powder, salt and little jaggery.
- Let it cook until the water evaporates and you can see the oil leaving the mix. It will take 10 to 12 minutes. DON'T FORGET STIR IN BETWEEN.
- Now add the rice and mix it gently. And let it be on the stove on medium low heat for 2 to 3 minutes. Then turn off the heat.
- If you like to add peanuts/cashews, heat the oil fry, add peanuts/cashews, fry it until it turns golden brown. Add this to the prepared bath.
- Now our simple, delicious Tomato rice is ready to eat. Enjoy this as it is or with raitha.
- Add little jaggery if the tomatoes are sour OR
- Add lemon juice or tamarind if the tomatoes are sweet.
- FOR VANGIBATH POWDER RECIPE CLICK HERE