Flaxseed chutney powder is easy to make and very nutritious, healthy side dish for our breakfasts like dosa, idli, rotti, sprinkle it on bread toast, and with hot steamed rice. With the right amount of flaxseeds and lentils the taste is just super :)
Flaxseeds have the highest amount of lignans – up to 800 times any other plant – which are cancer fighting compounds. Flaxseed is high in fiber. Flaxseed helps fight constipation, inflammation. Flax seed contains high levels of omega 3 fatty acids, which are vital for healthy hearts.
- 1/2 cup flax seeds
- 1/2 cup channa dal
- ¼ cup urad dal
- 1/2 cup dried shredded coconut optional
- 15 to 18 dried byadgi red chilies wrinkled skin variety, if you are using other variety use around 8 to 10 chillies
- big lemon size tamarind
- 1 tablespoon Jaggery
- 1½ teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoon oil
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds
- pinch of asafetida/Hing
- 10 to 15 curry leaves
- Heat the pan on a medium high heat.
- We will dry roast the channa dal, urad dal, and flaxseeds separately.
- Once the pan is hot, add channa dal and stir this dal until it turns golden brown. It will take approximately 5 min.
- Transfer this golden brown channa dal to a bowl
- Dry roast the urad dal, which takes about 2 minutes to turn golden brown. Take this out and transfer it to the bowl.
- Now roast the flax seeds. You have to roast them until you hear a popping sound. Transfer the flax seeds to the bowl.
- Add 2 tsp oil to the pan and add mustard seeds and hing.
- Once the mustard seeds have popped, add red chillies and curry leaves, and fry this for a few seconds. Then turn off the heat.
- To this, add dried coconut, tamarind, salt, jaggery, and dry roasted ingredients. Mix well. Allow it to cool completely.
- Once this is cool enough, put it into the mixer and grind it to a fine powder.
- Now the healthy flax seed chutney powder is ready to eat. Eat with dosa, idli, roti or even with hot steamed rice with a little ghee or oil. Enjoy!