Avalakki Oggarane Recipe, How to make Seasoned Poha Recipe
Avalakki Oggarane or Seasoned Poha / avalakki Upma is very easy, quick and simple breakfast menu. Also it is a quick snack in the evening. We have three varieties of poha, thick, medium and thin also known as paper avalakki. I already gave the recipe of Thin masala avalakki. For this avalakki oggarane we use either medium or thick one. Here is the simple recipe to the wonderful dish.
Servings 3 to 4 people
Prep Time 5 to 20 minutes
Cook Time 15 minutes
- 2 cup thick avalakki/poha OR
- 3 cup medium avalakki/poha
- 3 to 4 TBSP oil
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 tbsp urad dal (split black lentils)
- 4 to 6 green chillies
- 1 small finely chopped onion or 1/2 cup
- 1/2 cup fresh/frozen peas
- 1/4 cup fresh or frozen coconut
- few curry leaves
- handful of chopped cilantro /coriander leaves
- 1/8 tsp turrmeric powder
- 3/4 to 1 tsp salt/ salt to taste
- 1/4 cup peanuts optional
- Wash the avalakki/poha 2 to 3 times and soak it in water for 20 minutes.(If you are using thick one) If you are using medium avalakki wash the poha 2 to 3 times. Drain the water through a strainer . Make sure that the poha should not get mushy. It should be whole and separate.This is important step. DO NOT soak the medium avalakki.
- I used thick poha, I am soaking it.
- Heat the oil in a pan on medium heat. Add mustard seeds, once it pops add urad dal. Fry it until it turns golden brown. Then add green chillies, fry it for few seconds, add chopped onion. Sprinkle little salt, add turmeric powder and curry leaves. Mix it well.
- Once the onion becomes translucent, add peas. Mix it and cover it cook it for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Then add the poha by squeezing the water and discard the water. Add only the poha. If you are using medium poha/avalakki add the washed and drained poha. Add remaining salt. Mix it well. Cover it and cook it for 5 to 6 minutes. on medium low heat.
- Now add grated coconut. Mix it and leave it for few minutes. ( 1 to 2 minutes)
- Finally, turn off the heat and garnish with chopped cilantro/coriander leaves.
- If you like peanuts, heat 1/2 tsp oil in a ladle. Fry the peanuts and add this to the prepared Avalakki and Enjoy!