Ambode/Dal vada are always a evergreen snack which are very appetizing and satisfying. These are crunchy out side and soft inside snacks, perfect evening coffee or Tea/Chai companion. With the coming winter in mind, this masala ambode/ masala dal vade is hot and spicy snack for the cold winter evenings. If you prepare the vadas as soon as you prepare the mix, it absorbs less oil, some what I call this snack a guilt free healthy treat. Kids love the vadais with tomato ketch up.
Here is the step by step instructions with pictures to prepare the mouth watering evergreen Masalavada.
- 1 cup chana dal soaked in water for 3 to 4 hours
- 10 to 15 curry leaves
- 3 TBSP chopped cilantro /coriander leaves
- 4 red chillies
- 4 green chillies you can use only red or only green chillies
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 clove garlic optional
- 2 inches ginger
- 1 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp saunf/aniseeds
- 3 to 4 TBSP grated coconut
- 1/2 cup finely chopped dill leaves
- oil to fry.
Masala Dalvada Recipe / Masala Ambode
- Drain the water from the soaked dal.
- Put the dal to mixer along with chillies and
- Add ginger, garlic, curry leaves .
- Grind it to a coarse texture. If you are using food processor now add all other remaining (except oil) ingredients and pulse 2 to 3 times, else...
- Transfer it to a bowl, add the remaining ingredients and mix it well.
- Now pulse this whole mix in a mixer 2 to 3 times. Now the masala vada mix is ready .
- Heat the oil in a pan on medium heat to fry the ambode.
- Take around 2 to 3 TBSP of mix ,make balls and then flatten them.
- Like this..
- Once the oil is hot enough ( to check add little vada mix to the oil, it has to come up steadily, then the oil is ready to fry) gently slide the prepared vada into the oil.
- Repeat the procedure-prepare few more vadas and add it to the oil. Number of masala vada you can fry depends on the quantity of the oil and size of the pan you are using. Fry it on medium heat, after 2 to 3 minutes turn it to the other side.
- Fry it until the masala vade/masale ambode turns golden brown. Remove it with a perforated spatula and transfer the Vadas onto a paper towel.
- Repeat the same procedure with the remaining mix. Enjoy the Hot Masala vadas with hot cup of coffee or chai/tea. For kids serve the Masala vadais with Tomato ketch up.
Whenever I use mixer to grind the mix, after adding all the ingredients to the dal mix I will grind/pulse it, I like the light green color.
If you are not able to make the ball that is ,
- if the mix is dry - add little water
- If is soggy, add little besan or rice flour and mix it.