Sambar is one of our every side dishes for rice. We make variety sambar using different vegetables, and masalas. Each has unique taste and flavor. Radish/moolangi/mullangi sambar is one of the easiest and tastiest sambar to prepare.
- 4 medium size radish you can use the greens also OR
- 2 to 3 cups cut mullangi/daikon/mooli/radish wash and peel and slice it
- 3/4 cup toor dal
- 1 to 1.5 TBSP Rasam Powder
- 3 to 3.5 cups water
- 1/4 cup grated coconut
- small marble size key lime size tamarind soaked in water
- 1.5 tsp salt/ salt to taste
- 1/8 tsp turmeric powder
- little Jaggery may be a teaspoon
- For seasoning:
- 2 tsp oil
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- pinch hing
- 1 red chilli broken into pieces
Radish Sambar Recipe, How to make Sambar Recipes
- Wash the mullangi/Radish. And wash the greens also.
- Just pull the greens and discard the stem as shown.
- Peel the skin and cut the radish and the greens.
- Wash the dal and add 2 cups of water, turmeric powder and little oil.
- To this add the cur mullangi and greens and pressure cook this on medium heat with 2 whistle.
- Soak the tamarind in 1/4 cup of water.
- Once the cooker is cool enough, transfer the cooked dal and radish to a medium size pan. Add Rasam powder, salt, jaggery, coconut, and also squeeze the tamarind juice. Mix it well. Check for the consistency and add enough water.( may be 3/4 to 1 cup)
- Let it boil on medium heat for 8 to 10 minutes. Stir in between.
- Once you see the froth on top and reaches the consistency of the sambar, turn off the heat and prepare the seasoning.
- Heat the oil in a ladle. Once the oil is hot enough add mustard seeds, and hing. Once the mustard seeds pops turn off the heat and add the chillies. leave it for few seconds and then pour this seasoning to the sambar.
- Now this yummy Radish Sambar is ready to serve with rice,and you can also eat with ragi mudde.