Mosaravalakki |Mosaru Avalakki Recipe
Mosaravalakki is very easy and tasty breakfast or snack. It is very useful food when you are fasting(festival days). On Gokulashtami Day this is the dish my mother used to make. With right amount of sweetness, spice and yogurt, Mosaru(yogurt/curd) – Avalakki (flattened rice or Poha) is the perfect breakfast during hot summer days.
Here is the step by step instructions with pictures:
- 1/2 cup Avalakki thick poha
- 1/2 to 3/4 cup yogurt/curd/mosaru
- 1/4 cup grated fresh coconut
- 3 tsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- For seasoning:
- 1 1/2 tsp ghee
- 1/4 tsp mustard seeds
- 1/2 tsp urad dal
- 1 curd chilli
- 6 to 8 cashews
- Few curry leaves
- Around 1 tbsp chopped cilantro/coriander leaves
- Around 3/4 cup water to soak the avalakki
- Wash and soak the Avalakki/poha for 10 to 15 minutes, then drain the water and keep it ready
- Heat the ghee in a small pan on medium heat. Once the ghee is hot add mustard seeds, after mustard seeds pops add urad dal, cashews, curry leaves and chilli
- curry leaves and chilli,Fry it until the dals and cashews turn golden brown.
- Now to the avalakki, add salt, sugar, coconut,and curd and mix it well. Then add the seasoning and mix it.
- Garnish with chopped cilantro/coriander leaves
If you are using medium poha/avalakki, no need to soak,just wash and use it
After you make this dish, finish with in 5 to 10 minutes, else avalakki has the tendency to soak up all the liquid, taste will not be good at all.
You can prepare the seasoning and mix it with the avalakki and you can add the curd/yogurt just before you eat