Akki rotti is a delicacy of Karnataka. There are many varieties of akki rotti; this akki rotti is a specialty of malnad, and requires very little oil and it is a gluten free food.
Also try this gluten free and vegan akki rotti, rice roti as well
detailed video instructions for making Rotti
- You may need an iron skillet to get the authentic malnad rotti.
- In a large bowl, add all the ingredients (except oil) and mix.
- Now add water and mix the ingredients. This should be like an idli batter.
- Grease the skillet with a few drops of oil and heat it skillet on medium high heat.
- Skillet has to be very hot. Now sprinkle some water on the skillet, it should sizzle once ready.
- Place a big spoonful of rotti batter in the center.
- From the center, start spreading the batter to make a circle.
- Dip your fingers in cold water while doing it. Pour little oil on top.
- Cover this rotti with a lid. Once it becomes golden brown, take out the rotti. It usually takes a minute or even less.
- Repeat the same procedure for the remaining dough.
- Serve hot with ghee, coconut chutney or butter. Enjoy!