Brown rice rava-carrot idli is a very delicious, healthy idli which does not require fermenting. This masala idli is very simple to make and is extremely nutritious with vitamin A, fiber and proteins.
Ingredients for Gluten free Rice Rava Idli:
- 1 cup brown rice idli rava (or any other idli rava from grocery stores)
- 1 tablespoon channa dal
- 1 tablespoon moong dal
- ¾ cup water
- 1 cup shredded carrot
- ¼ cup chopped onion
- ¼ cup fresh shredded coconut (optional)
- 1 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro/coriander leaves
- Pinch of Hing
- 1 tablespoon oil to grease the idli plates
- Makes around 10 to 12 idlis.
Method to prepare Brown Rice Rava Idli:
- Wash the moong and channa dal
- Add it to the rava and soak it (dals and rava) in ¾ cup of water for 4 to 5 hours or overnight.
- To this soaked mix, add all the other ingredients (carrot, onion, coconut, pepper, salt, and hing) and mix well. You can substitute pumpkin for carrot, which adds its own nice flavor.
- Grease the idli plates by putting a few drops of oil in each plate. Use your hand to spread the oil.
- Put the idli batter on each plate.
- Place these idli stands in the cooker and steam cook it for 15 minutes on medium high heat.
- Then turn off the heat and allow it to cool for 5 minutes – if you take out the idlis immediately they will stick to the plates.
- After 5 minutes take out the idlis from the cooker and it is ready to eat.
- Idli’s will come out with a soft texture. Eat these hot idlis with chutney and ghee.
Brown rice used in this dish can be bought on Amazon. Here is the link,