ShankarPali / shakkar para is an easy and effortless snack which can be prepared both sweet and spicy. Very popular in Karnataka, this snack is prepared for festivals, for travel time and as a evening snack with tea/coffee. This is the sweet version of the snack.
- 1/2 cup maida/all purpose flour
- 3 Tablespoon sugar
- 2 cardamom
- 2½ to 3 teaspoon ghee
- Around 3 tablespoon water
- oil to fry.
ShankarPoli / Shakkar Pare
- Take the maida in a separate bowl .
- Powder the sugar along with the cardamom .
- Put 2 tbsp of sugar to the maida (keep remaining powdered sugar for later use)
- Now melt the ghee and add it to the maida and sugar mix.
- Mix it well.
- Now add water little by little, mix it and make a hard dough and keep it aside for 3 to 4 minutes.
To make the Shankar poLi :
- Heat the oil in a pan for frying on a medium heat.
- Divide the prepared dough into 2 parts. Take one part and roll it like a small roti.
- Smear little ghee and fold it to half and then fold that one too,
- Now roll it like a Roti/chapati (⅕ of a cm thick) .
- Cut into small diamond shapes.
- Fry this in the hot oil until it turns golden brown on both sides.( to check the oil is ready,add little dough to the oil,it has to come up immediately and make sure to flip them to fry evenly) .
- Once it is done, remove from the oil and put it on a paper towel.
- if you like sprinkle the remaining powdered sugar on top
- Repeat the same procedure for the remaining dough.