Aloo Bonda or Potato Bonda used to be very famous street snack in Karnataka. Street vendors used to sell balekayi bajji, masala ambode, alu bonda, mesasina kayi bajji. Now all these snacks are taken over by instant chats. Alugadde bonda brings back the memory of Saraswathi puram bonda stall in Myore near the Saraswathi Shishu vihara field. This stall used to be open from around 6 pm but everything will be over by 8. These snacks were so good, it was worth the money and the waiting . Try this no onion no garlic bonda with a hot coffee or tea. Here is the recipe of popular aloo bonda.
- For stuffing:
- 4 medium size cooked Potato
- 2 tbsp cooked peas fresh or frozen
- ½ inch ginger chopped or grated
- 10 to 15 chopped curry leaves
- 2 tbsp chopped coriander leaves
- 3 finely chopped green chillies
- 1 tsp salt for stuffing
- Juice of half lemon optional
- For the bonda batter:
- ¼ cup Chickpea flour/ Gram Flour/ besan flour
- ¼ cup rice flour
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp Jeera powder
- 1 tsp red chilli powder
- ⅛ tsp Hing/asafoetida
- 2 tsp ghee
- Around ½ cup water
- oil to fry.
Aloo Bonda Recipe | Potato Bonda
To make Stuffing/Palya:
- Remove the skin from the cooked potatoes. Roughly mash it leaving some of the potato chunks.
- To this add cooked peas, chopped coriander and curry leaves, chopped ginger along with chopped green chillies and salt, mix it.
- Divide this stuffing into around 25 equal parts, like balls.
To prepare the batter:
- Mix besan, rice flour, chilli powder, jeera powder, hing and salt along with 2 tsp of ghee with out adding water.
- Then add water to make a thick batter. Now this batter ready.
To make the Bonda:
- Heat the oil to fry in a pan on medium heat.
- Take a portion of the stuffing, Dip in the batter(watch video) and add this to the hot oil.
- Fry it until the bonda turns golden brown on all the sides
- Remove it from the oil using a perforated ladle and transfer it onto a strainer.
- Number of bondas you can fry depends on the quantity of the oil you use.
- Repeat the same procedure for the remaining batter and the stuffing.
- Hot and spicy Aloo Bonda is ready to eat !