Moong dal/hesarubeLe is the perfect food for weight loss - it’s a food replacement in many weight loss programs, due to its low fat content, and high amounts of protein and fiber. This helps to reduce cholesterol levels in the blood system. The complex carbohydrates help with regulating blood sugar levels. It prevents rapid rises in blood sugar levels after eating a meal. Mung beans are considered to have many anti-cancer properties. Here is the recipe for simple dish, daal.
- ½ cup moong dal / hesarubeLe
- ¼ tsp turmeric powder
- 1¼ tsp salt or salt to taste
- Few curry leaves
- 4 to 5 cups of water
- For seasonings:
- 1 tablespoon ghee (oil ghee is preferable)
- 1½ tsp jeera/cumin seeds
- 2 green chillies cut into pieces
- 1 TBSP chopped ginger or grated
- ¼ tsp Hing/asafoetida
- around ½ cup chopped onions optional
- around ½ cup chopped cilantro/coriander leaves
Moong Daal / HesarubeLe Thove
- Wash the dal and add 3 to 4 cups of water, turmeric powder, and a little oil in a relatively big pan and let it cook on a low flame. Stir it once in a while to avoid it from overflowing. It will take 20 to 25 minutes to cook.
- Once it cooks, add the salt and keep it aside. Add more water if needed.
- Now heat the ghee in a pan.
- Once it is hot enough, add the jeera, hing, chillies, curry leaves, and ginger. Then add onions.
- Fry it until it is tender.
- Add this seasoning to the cooked dal and let it boil for a few more minutes.
- Now the dal is ready to serve.