Chutney is one of the popular side dishes for dosa, idli, and other south Indian breakfasts. Here is a healthy food that tastes good! It is an excellent spread for Sandwiches, Wraps and Burritos. It is a good recipe that can go into your kid’s lunch box without guilt :) This is a Gluten Free recipe!
Chickpeas/garbanzo beans are a great source of zinc, folate and protein. These are high in fiber, low in fat and most of this is polyunsaturated.
Garbanzo beans contains more than 60% of insoluble fiber and can reduce the risk of colon cancer.
Helps in blood sugar regulation due to slowing down the digestion process.
Helps in lowering blood cholesterol levels.
- ½ cup garbanzo beans soaked overnight OR
- 1 cup soaked and cooked beans with salt
- 1 tsp salt or salt to taste 1/2 tsp for cooking the beans +1/2tsp
- 2-3 green chillies depending on the spice level
- 2 tbs sesame seeds
- 10-15 almonds
- marble size tamarind
- FOR SEASONING FOR GARBANZO CHUTNEY (OPTIONAL STEP):
- 1 teaspoon oil
- ½ teaspoon cumin seeds
- 4-5 curry leaves
- pinch of asafoetida
Garbanzo Beans Chutney / Spread
HOW TO MAKE GARBANZO BEANS CHUTNEY / SPREAD:
- wash and soak the garbanzo beans over night and then pressure cook the soaked beans with 1/2 tsp salt and 1 cup water. Turn off the heat after 4 to 6 whistles on medium high heat,
- Toast the sesame seeds and keep it ready.
- Grind cooked beans, salt, green chillies, almonds, tamarind and sesame seeds by adding cup water.
- Transfer the chutney into a bowl and top it with a seasoning (seasoning is optional)
TO MAKE SEASONING:
- Heat the ladle on medium high heat, add oil let it heat for few seconds.
- Then add cumin seeds, then add channa dal and urad dal fry it till it turns golden brown color. Turn off the heat, then add hing and curry leaves.
- Add this seasoning prepared chutney and mix them well and serve
- Garbanzo Chutney is a versatile dish and can be used as a dip to dosa/ idli/chapati. Also, this Chickpeas chutney can be used as a spread for burgers, wraps and sandwiches. Tastes very good as a dip for fresh vegetables.