It is always good to incorporate beans in our daily diet., especially if you have young ones at home. Beans are high in minerals and fiber along with protein and without the saturated fat found in some animal proteins. It is believed that soaking the beans before cooking helps to remove some of those indigestible sugars that cause flatulence and helps to cook then fast. Soaking long hours helps in digestion of the cooked beans. Beans are rich source of soluble fiber which can lower cholesterol and triglyceride levels.
Usli/sundals are one of the many ways we can use the beans. You can soak the beans and add to sambar, add handful of beans when you soak the ingredients for Dose/dosai. It’s a simple side dish to add to a packed vegan lunch for some easy protein!
- Cow peas / Black Eyed beans looks like this.
- Wash and soak the beans with 3 cups of water overnight or minimum 6 hours.
- Drain the water and discard the water.
- Transfer the soaked beans to a medium size pan, add 2 to 3 cups of water along with cumin seeds. Cumin seeds helps to reduce the flatulence and helps in digestion.
- Cook the beans on medium high heat with a plate half covered. Stir beans occasionally to prevent sticking.
- Cook the beans until they become soft and tender ( it took 25 minutes). Turn off the heat.
- Now heat 2 tsp oil in a pan. Once it is hot enough, add hing, mustard seeds. Once the mustard seeds pops add green chillies. After few second add curry leaves.
- Add the cooked beans, ( if there is lot of water left along with the cooked beans drain it) and salt. Mix it well. Let all the water evaporates, by then the beans will absorb the salt and spice.
- Once all the water evaporates, add coconut and chopped cilantro/coriander leaves. Mix it well and turn off the heat. We have this yummy, healthy and delicious Sundal/Usli ready to eat.