Mango Pickle | Instant Mango Pickle
Many years ago, I was walking with my sister on a busy road in Bangalore, and saw piles of cut mango pieces in front of a house – not even 5 feet away from one of the busiest roads in the city. I went and asked the people who were chopping the green mangoes, “Why do you need so much?”. The reply I got was shocking. It was for mango pickle, for which they take the order from a pickle company. After this shocking way they make pickle for large companies, there’s no way that I’m ever in my life going to buy pickles.
Amma always used to make pickles at home, and even now away from home, I never even think of getting it from the store. Why? Because I realized that making pickle at home is very easy.
Pickle is always a must-have side dish for any meal. Most of the pickles are seasonal and they taste good, and are healthy when we prepare it fresh and consume it. If we plan to save it for months we have to add a little more salt and oil to preserve. This instant Mango pickle is prepared with less salt, and little oil. This recipe is from my mother.
- 1 cups Mango cut into small pieces yields 1½ to 2of cut mango pieces
- 2 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 15 to 20 byadagi red chillies or 6 to 7 byadagi red chillies and 5 – 6 guntur/spicy variety red chillies
- 2 TBSP salt
- hing / Asafoetida
- ½ cup water
- FOR SEASONING:
- 1 TBSP oil
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- Wash and cut the mango into small pieces and keep it in a bowl.
- Grind red chillies, mustard seeds and hing along with water to make a fine paste.
- Add this paste to the cut mango pieces and add salt. (Rinse the mixer jar with a little water and add that water as well)
- Mix well.
- Now heat the oil in a ladle on medium heat.
- Add mustard seeds.
- Once the mustard seeds pop, pour it onto the pickle and mix well.
- Keep aside for 3 to 4 hours, and then the Mango pickle is ready to eat
When buying a mango make sure it is firm.
You can store the pickle in the refrigerator for 10 to 15 days.
If you want to store it for a long time, prepare the powder without adding any water. Add the powder to cut mangoes along with salt.