Spicy Pumpkin Idli | Sihi Kumbalakai Idli
Sweet Pumpkin is in season now :) I have this super easy, gluten free and Vegan Spicy Pumpkin Idli recipe!
I am using Japanese pumpkin or Kabocha , which is almost the same variety we get in India. It has strong flavor, fluffy texture and moist. I love this variety pumpkin compared to any of the winter or summer squashes. To name a few amazing benefits of super vegetable winter squash Sihi kumbalakayi or cheenikai, it is low calorie, high fiber, loaded with Vitamin A, Vitamin E and Vitamin C. Also a good source of B Complex, copper, potassium and copper as well.
Easy spicy kadubu or Pumpkin Idli can be prepared in 30 to 40 minutes apart from soaking time. Try this Pumpkin sweet Kadubu and other pumpkin recipe – Pumpkin sambar.
Here is detailed video recipe for Karnataka Style, No Onion NO Garlic, Gluten Free and Vegan Pumpkin Idli
- 2 cups grated sweet pumpkin (wash and peel the skin then grate it)
- 1 cup rice rave or Idli Rave /akki thari
- ½ to ¾ cup water
- 1 tbsp kadle bele/CHana dal/bengal gram
- 1 tbsp Hesaru bele/moong dal/green gram Wash and soak it in water for an hour
- 3 to 6 green chillies - finely chopped
- 1 to 1.5 tsp pepper powder
- 1 tsp jeera/cumin seeds
- 1¼ to 1.5 tsp salt
- 3 to 4 tbsp finely chopped coriander leaves
- ¼ cup grated coconut or coconut pieces
[the_ad id="4800"]Spicy Pumpkin Idli | Sihi Kumbalakai Idli
- if the rave/ thari is store bought, wash and then soak it with ½ cup water for 1 to 2 hours or if it is homemade no need to wash, just soak it with around ¾ cup water
- After 2 hours... To this soaked rice rave add all ingredients - grated pumpkin,drain the water and add the dals, salt, coriander leaves, crushed pepper, green chillies, jeera and coconut and mix it well.
- after you mix it, make sure the hittu/batter is not too dry, when you squeeze the mix, you should be able to see that water
- Keep it aside for 10 to 15 minutes
- After 15 minutes..... mix it again, take a handful of the mix, put it on the greased idli plates.
- The idlis are ready to be steamed.you can make 16 idli with the given measurement
- Steam cook the idlis on medium high heat for 15 to 20 minutes, and then turn off the heat.
- Leave for 2 to 3 minutes and then remove the idlis from the plate using a spoon.
- Eat hot idlis with ghee, or chutney.