Millet Idli Recipe | Siridhanya recipes
Millet idli recipe using Foxtail millet /navane .
Idlis are the most popular breakfast of Southern India. It is steamed, healthy, balanced breakfast to start the day. Best food for the growing kids too.
Generally idli is made of rice and urad dal, in this particular recipe I am using millets to make the idli. You can use any millet available to prepare this healthy dish.
Interested in side dishes for the Idli? check these:
Darshini style sambar for idli
Restaurant style chutney for Idli
for soft traditional rice idli click on this
Millets/ Siridhanyas believed to be good for diabetic patients since it releases the glucose slowly. All millets are non glutinous grains. Different millets: Navane – Foxtail millet, Harka – Kodo Millet, saame – little millet, Oodalu – barnyard millet, sajje – pearl millet, Raagi – finger millet, jola – Sorghum,
- ½ cup urad dal
- ¾ cup millet here I am usign foxtail millet
- ¾ tsp salt
- 2.5 to 3 cup water ¾ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp methi seeds/menthya
- 2 to 3 tbsp avalakki (optional I am not using in this recipe)
[the_ad id="4800"]Millet Idli Recipe | Siridhanya recipes
- Wash and soak urad dal in 1¼ water overnight or minimum 3 to 4 hours.
- Wash and soak millets along with methi seeds in 1 cup water overnight or minimum 3 to 4 hours.
- Grind the urad dal in a grinder or mixer(use water as needed) along with soaked water to fine paste(takes around 12 minutes in grinder). Add little more water if needed.
- Drain the water from the soaked millet, add only millet to the grinder, grind it for a minute.
- Transfer the batter to a big bowl. Add salt, mix it with hand or ladle, cover it and keep aside to ferment.(may take 8 hours to 18 hours)
How to make the Idli:
- Grease the idli plates keep it ready.
- Mix the fermented batter thoroughly, pour it to the greased idli plates.
- Steam cook this idlis on medium high heat for 12 to 14 minutes and then turn off the heat.
- After a minute, remove the idli from the plates using the wet spoon.
- Eat these hot idlis with chutney, sambar, ……