Mung bean salad, or kosambari, is traditionally prepared on festivals days in Karnataka. It is a healthy salad which is high in protein and fiber, and can be included in the everyday meal.
Ingredients for Mung Bean Salad:
- ½ cup dry mung dal (soaked for 1 to 2 hours and drained)
- 1 cup shredded carrot
- 2 to 3 tablespoons grated fresh coconut
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon oil
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1 pinch asafoetida
- 1 green chilli (chopped)
- 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro
How to make Mung Dal Salad or Kosambari:
- Mix soaked split mung beans (mung dal), carrot, coconut and salt thoroughly.
- Heat the oil in a ladle, and wait for the oil to reach the right temperature. To check this, add a small amount of mustard, and it should start cracking/popping. If it is at the right temperature, add the mustard seeds, asafetida, cilantro, and chilis. Let everything sit in the oil for few seconds.
- Add this seasoning to split mung dal, carrot, coconut, and salt mix/salad.
- Mix this evenly, and enjoy!
Note: If you want to avoid seasoning to consume this raw, you can follow this as a replacement for seasoning
- In a small bowl add 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 green chilli, finely chopped
- Some chopped Cilantro.
- 1 teaspoon of aged raw balsamic vinegar (optional)
- Whisk them thoroughly
- Mix the above dressing with the split mung beans, carrot and coconut salad.