Muchore/murukku/Chakli whatever the name of this snack, it is simply crunchicious, all-time favorite snack. Muchore is made up of moong daal. So can we call this Moong daal Chakli?… With hot cup of coffee, this is the beat snack! This is the Dasara/Navarathri season, this chakli can be prepared as Bombe Baagina too.
Here is the step by step procedure with pictures to : How to make Muchore aka Moongdal Chakli.
- 1/2 cup moong dal
- 1 cup rice flour
- 1 to 11/4 TBSP butter ghee/oil
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- 1/2 cup water more or less depending on the quality of the flours
- Also we need,
- oil oil to fry
- Chakli Press
Muchore , Moongdal Chakli Recipe
- Keep a wok on a medium heat and dry roast the moong dal until it turns golden brown.Transfer it onto a plate, allow it to cool.
- Grind the roasted dal into a fine powder, sieve the powder only if necessary.
- Transfer the powder to a big bowl. Add rice flour, cumin seeds,
- salt and butter and mix everything thoroughly until the butter is incorporated with the flour.
- The consistency should be, when you take some flour in the hand and squeeze it, it should look like this. Don't add too much fat.
- Add water little by little, mix it. Dough should be like the chapathi dough. Kneed the dough and keep it ready.
- Grease the chakli press and keep it ready.
- For muchore we use this template, if you don't have it you can use the single chakli template.
- Heat the oil in a wok on medium heat.
- Place the dough in the chakli press ,press it and make the chakli
- Once you finish doing the desired size chakli cut the end and join. Prepare 4 to 5 chakli and keep it ready.
- Once the oil is hot enough, carefully place the prepared chakli into the hot oil. Number of chakli/muchore depends on the size of the kadai and amount of oil you are using.
- After a minute flip the chakli to the other side using a perforated ladle. Fry it until chakli turns golden brown on both sides.
- Meanwhile prepare few chaklis ready for the next batch. Or you can prepare in the muchore shape also.
- Once it turns golden brown on both sides remove it using a ladle and transfer it on to a paper towel. Once these Muchore/chakli/murukkus cooled completely, store them in the air tight container.
- Repeat the same procedure until all the muchore dough is done. Here is the crunchy, flavorful Tea/Coffee time snack Muchore or Moong dal Chakli.