Dill leaves/sabsige soppu is very healthy greens, helps to boost the digestion, helps in reducing insomnia, menstrual and respiratory discomforts and so on. Our Ayurvedic doctor said chewing on handful of the raw dill greens everyday helps to protect against the arthritis. Coming to the recipe we are using this dill leaves along with the toor dal to make a healthy palya goes well as side dish to rasam rice, sambar rice. Simple yet delicious.
- 1 cup packed dill leaves/sabbasige soppu
- 3/4 cup toor dal
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 cup water
- ¼ cup fresh coconut
- For seasoning:
- 3 tsp oil
- Little asafoetida/hing
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 2 red chillis broken into pieces
Toor dal - DIll leaves Palya Recipe How to make Palya
- Wash and chop the dill leaves. Wash the dal and add the water, turmeric powder and the chopped dill. Pressure cook this on medium heat for 2 whistles. Once the cooker is cool enough then start the seasoning.
- Heat the oil in a pan on medium heat. Once the oil is hot enough add mustard seeds and hing. Once the mustard seeds pops add cumin seeds and the red chilli pieces.
- Now add the cooked dal and greens along with salt, and curry leaves , mix it well and fry for 5 minutes.
- Turn off the heat and add the coconut mix it well.
- Now the delicious and healthy Dill-toordal palya is ready to serve. Enjoy as it is or enjoy it with with rice or as a side dish.
Do not add more water while cooking the dal. Dal should not be over cooked.