This eggplant bajji brings back memories of my grandma. She used to roast the eggplant/badanekayi on a fire until it was lightly charred and became very tender, then cool it and mash it. Unfortunately we don’t have access to that kind of wood burning stove with coal to give us that charred flavor, but we can use a gas stove or an oven to do the job.
Badanekayi mosaru bajji / Roasted eggplant raita is a unique dish prepared in Karnataka. This charred eggplant with yogurt/curd tastes so delicious with a smokey flavor, and goes well with rice, roti or with absolutely anything else you can think of.
- 1 badanekayi/brinjal/eggplant
- 1 cup yogurt/curd
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp oil/ghee
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- pinch asafoetida/hing
- 1 tsp urad dal (split black lentils)
- 1 red/green chilli
- few curry lraves
Roasted Eggplant In yogurt Recipe, Badanekayi Mosaru Bajji
- Wash and dry the purple egg plant or you can use small round ones too. Whisk the yogurt/curd in a bowl along with salt until it becomes smooth and creamy, keep it ready.
- Turn on the gas stove directly on the burner, and keep it for few minutes.
- Then roll the eggplant , now the side which is exposed to flame should be black and charred.
- Continue roasting until the whole eggplant/brinjal is charred and tender. To check its texture, press it with your finger it should be soft and spongy.
- It will be ugly, that is what we want. Transfer the Eggplant/badanekayi onto the plate and allow it to cool. Cut off the top and remove the skin.
- Now transfer the roasted eggplant/badanekayi to a bowl and mash it with a spoon or with your fingers.
- Heat the oil in a ladle on medium heat. Once the oil is hot enough, add hing, mustard seeds. Once the mustard seeds pops add urad dal, when dal turns golden brown add the chillies and curry leaves. Then turn off the heat.
- Add this seasoning to the mashed roasted Eggplant/badanekayi along with the whisked yogurt.
- Mix it well.
- Decorate with chopped cilantro/coriander leaves. Now the smokey flavored Eggplant yogurt/curd is ready. It is also a multipurpose dip can be used with anything like Garlic Thambuli.
You can skip the seasoning and add finely chopped onion to it.
If you are using oven, broil the eggplant until the skin is charred and tender.