Muddi palya is very healthy and delicious popular side dish in North Karnataka region . Very simple and easy to make. Perfect for kids and nursing moms. This toor dal and Spinach dal does well with roti, rice and Bhakri. You can use mixed green for this recipe. For nursing moms use dill leaves.
- Wash and chop the spinach.
- Pressure cook the dal with 1½ cup of water, ½ tsp oil and turmeric on medium heat, turn off the heat after 2 whistles.
- Powder 1 tsp jeera/cumin seeds using mortar and pestle.
- Grind the chillies to coarse texture or you can chop it finely. or you can use herb mill.
- In a medium sauce pan take the chopped spinach, add the cooked dal, jeera powder, green chilli, and squeeze the tamarind juice and curry leaves.. Add water if needed.
- Let it boil on medium heat for 5 to 10 minutes, or until the spinach cooks. Stir in between. Then turn off the heat,
- Heat the ghee in a pan on medium heat. Once the oil is hot enough add hing, mustard seeds. Once the mustard seeds pops add jeera and turn off the heat and add this seasoning to the prepared Muddi Palya.
- Serve this Healthy and super delicious muddi palya with rotti, roti, rice....