Menthya Gojju is a traditional karnataka/mysore style recipe, tasty with health benefits. Methi seeds /methya/fenugreek seeds have lots of medicinal value. They are loaded with antioxidants. These seeds promote healthy hair, and help to relieve discomfort due to arthritis. They also help to avoid constipation and aid in liver function and digestion. It helps in reduction of cholesterol and removal of toxins from the body.
- ¼ cup menthya/ fenugreek seeds /methi
- 1 tablespoon oil
- ¼ teaspoon mustard seeds
- 10 to 15 curry leaves
- lemon size jaggery
- For grinding:
- ½ cup fresh coconut
- 1 tablespoon fried gram/hurigadale else put ¼ cup more fresh coconut
- 2 to 3 green/red chillies
- ½ teaspoon mustard seeds
- in small lemon size tamarind soakedwater for easy grinding
- pinch of turmeric
- 1 to 1 ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon coriander leaves/cilantro
Menthya Gojju/Methi Seeds Gravy
- Heat the pan on medium low heat. Add oil.
- Once it is hot enough, add mustard seeds.
- Add menthe/methi seeds and fry them until they turn golden brown.
- Now add curry leaves and around 2 cups of water, and let it boil.
- While it is boiling, grind the remaining ingredients (fresh coconut, fried gram/hurigadale, green/red chillies, mustard seeds, tamarind, turmeric, salt, and cilantro) to a fine paste.
- Add this paste or masala to the boiling methi seeds.
- Now add jaggery and add a little more water.
- Let it boil for 15 minutes on a medium low heat.
- Once it has boiled for 15 minutes or so, turn off the heat and Menthya gojju is ready to serve.
- Enjoy this healthy dish with hot rice, rotis, rotti and chapatis or side dish.