Radishes are an extremely healthy vegetable, yet their pungent flavor turns many people away. This recipe is the perfect way to incorporate this amazing vegetable into your diet.
- 1medium size or 1 1/2 cup diced Daikon/radish White Radish
- 1/2 cup freshly grated coconut
- 7-8 dry red chillies (substitute - green chillies but dry chillies tastes better)
- Small marble sized tamarind
- Small marble size Jaggery substitute - quarter teaspoon of sugar
- 3/4 tsp salt
- Water to blend
Daikon (White Radish) Chutney/Dip/Spread
- First add a little bit oil (around 1 tsp ) in a pan and heat it until warm.
- Then add diced daikon for frying. Fry it till it turns into a golden brown color.
- Add grated coconut, tamarind and jaggery (can substitute with sugar) and fry for a minute.
- Place it aside in another bowl to cool it.
- In the same pan, fry the red chillies with a little bit oil (we use oil to avoid the pungency). You can substitute with Green chillies.
- Add all the fried items to a blender, along with a small quantity of water (necessary to blend)
- Add salt to taste.
- Grind/blend the ingredients in the blender until the consistency is smooth.
- Pour this grinded chutney into a bowl
- Optional: Add a seasoning to the Chutney/Spread.
- Chutney/Spread is ready.
- As Chutney, goes extremely well with Roti's.
- Also, it is an extremely healthy spread for sandwiches and tortillas. It tastes great as a vegetable dip as well.
- This can be packed for travel and is great for those on the go. This is also popularly known as Moolangi chutney or Mooli chutney.