Cluster beans Matvadi palya
Matvadi palya is wholesome curry with protein and vegetable. My ajji used to make this palya with gorikaayi(cluster beans), beans and even with greens like menthya soppu, baby dill. It is an awesome side dish goes well with rice, rotis and you can just eat it as it is.
- 4 cup cut cluster beans around 1 pound, cut into small 1 cm pieces
- 1/4 cup water
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp turmeric powder
- For Grinding:
- 3/4 cup chana dal soaked in water for 2 to 3 hours yields around 1.5 cup
- 1/4 cup grated coconut
- 4 to 6 green chillies
- For Seasoning:
- 3 TBSP oil
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- little hing / Asafoetida
- 1 red chilli broken into pieces
- few curry leaves
[the_ad id="4800"]matwadi/matodi palya
- Wash and cut the cluster beans/gorikaayi into small pieces.
- Heat 3 TBSP oil in a thick bottom pan on medium heat. Once the oil is hot add mustard seeds. Once it pops add red chilli pieces and curry leaves. Then add the cut beans, salt, turmeric powder and add enough water to cook the beans.(Don't add too much water)
- Meanwhile, grind coconut, chana dal (make sure to drain all the water), green chillies. to a coarse consistency and keep it ready.
- Once the beans are cooked and the water evaporated, add the dal paste on to of the beans as shown.Let it steam cook for a minute.
- Then mix it and fry it for few more minutes and turn off the heat.
- You can use more oil and shallow fry it, but I feel making this way is more tastier and healthy. Enjoy the palya as it is or as a side dish.
- If you like add more oil.
- The variation for this palya is make it with methi leaves, beans also.