Do you remember the days, relatives, friends coming and knocking our door without informing? Those are the days where there was no smart phones, internet … Friends and family used to drop in anytime, when they were in town. I Love those days !
It was a customary to prepare the festival meals for the guests. Festival meals menu will be usually one rice dish, payasam and Kosambari and palya along with Rasam and some Majjige HuLi. There were no refrigerator to store the vegetable. My mom used to come up with quick dishes, one of them is this rice dish, Thuppanna as we call this in kannada. This ghee rice is so simple yet so delicious. If you have cooked rice ready, this ghee rice can be done with in no time at all, just 5 minutes is enough. As a kid I used to love this rice and now it is same with my kids too :). Simple aromatic Ghee rice kids friendly recipe.
- Ghee rice main ingredients : ghee and rice. Spread the hot rice on a plate and allow it to cool.
- Heat 2 tsp ghee in a big ladle or pan. Once the ghee is hot enough, add chana dal, urad dal and peanuts.
- Once the dals turns golden brown turn off the heat.
- Add this seasoning to the cooked rice.
- Mix it and add remaining ingredients-salt, sugar, and coconut. Mix it well.
- Simple yet delicious kids friendly Ghee rice is ready to savor, ENJOY
Instead of peanuts you can use cashews.
If you are using frozen coconut bring it to room temperature before using.
Important to remember, don't burn the dals.