Pancha kajjaya Recipe
We wish all our readers a Very Happy Ganesha chaturthi. May God Ganesha bless you all with good health and ample wealth.
Ganesh Chaturthi or Vinayaka Chaturthi is one of the most important festivals in Karnataka. Traditionally, it is celebrated by almost each and every household. Ganesha – god of removing the obstacles, before the beginning of any good deeds we pray Lord Ganesha and then start the work. We offer Ganesha, his favorite dishes like Modakam, chakli, Black chana usli/Sundal, kadubu and this Panchakajjaya. Pancha kajjaya can be prepared with chana dal, moong dal also with puffed rice/Aralu on Ganesha festival, or if you are doing Gana homa, ganesha pooja at home.. Pancha means five and kajjaya means sweet. Pancha kajjaya is a sweet with 5 ingredients.
- 1/4 cup chana dal
- 1/4 cup Jaggery powdered
- 1/4 cup grated dry coconut
- 1 TBSP black sesame seeds
- 1.5 TBSP ghee
- You can also add the following :
- 2 tsp ghee
- 3 to 4 almonds broken into pieces
- 10 raisins
- 5 cashews broken into pieces
- pinch of cardamom powdered
- Keep the 5 ingredients ready.
- And if you like to add raisin and nuts, keep that ready too.
- Dry roast chana dal in kadai in low flame until it turns golden brown color. Transfer the roasted dal onto a plate.
- In the same kadai/pan dry roast sesame seeds until it pops/sputters. Transfer it to a plate.
- Keep the kadai back on stove, roast the grated dry coconut/kopra for 30 seconds and turn off the heat. Let the grated coconut be in the kadai so that it will become crisp.
- Grind the roasted chanadal to a fine powder while it is still warm. ( no need to sieve the powder)
- Now if you are adding raisin and nuts, heat the 2 tsp ghee in a ladle, fry almond pieces, when almonds turns golden brown add cashew pieces, when it starts to turn golden color add raisins. Fry it until all the raisins puffs up. Turn off the heat and keep it aside.
- Transfer the roasted coconut onto a plate and keep the kadai back on stove on medium low heat. Add the ghee. Once it is hot enough add jaggery powder. Mix it really well and allow it to boil stirring continuously.
- Jaggery and ghee should fuse together and becomes one.
- Slowly add the chana dal powder,
- coconut and fried nuts and raisins mixing continuously.
- Turn off the heat. But keep mixing it for few more minutes.
- The dal powder absorbs all the ghee and jaggery mix and it will becomes kind of dry. Finally add cardamom powder.
- Pancha kajjaya is ready to offer to Lord Ganesha.
It is important that you have to pay attention while roasting the chana dal. Make sure not to burnt the dal.