Enne Rotti, I cannot think of any English name for this recipe, unique to our region! Enne Rotti is a special Malnad dish, deep fried snack or breakfast with greens and spice. It is gluten free snack. You can eat this crunchy rotti with butter, coconut chutney or any chutney.
Here is step by step instructions with pictures to "How to Make Enne Rotti"
- 3 cups rice flour
- 2 medium size onion
- 5 to 6 chopped green chillies
- handful of chopped methi leaves
- handful of chopped sabbasige soppu
- handful of chopped coriander and curry leaves
- ½ TBSP cumin seeds/jeerige
- 1 TBSP salt salt to taste
- 1 tsp red chilli powder
- 2 TBSP ghee
- oil to fry the rotti
- water as needed
[the_ad id="4800"]Enne Rotti
- Take the rice flour in a big mixing bowl, to this add cumin seeds, salt, chilli powder, chopped green chillies, along with ghee.
- Mix it well.
- Then add chopped greens, chopped onion, chopped green chillies and mix it well with out adding water first.
- Mix it With out adding water....
- Sprinkle water little by little until you get medium soft dough.
- Heat the oil in a pan on medium high heat.
- Grease the plastic sheet or if banana leaf is available .
- Take 2 TBSP of dough, make it a ball like this.
- Keep the dough on the greased sheet, press it with palm to make a circle, thickness should be like poori. Make few more and keep it ready.
- Thickness should like this....
- Once the oil is hot enough, add these prepared rotti( numbers depends on the amount of oil you are using) and fry both sides until it turns golden brown.
- Remove it from the oil and transfer it onto a paper towel or perforated bowl.
- Repeat the same procedure with the remaining dough.
- The Enne rotti can be eaten with coconut chutney, or butter or just as it is.
- Rotti will be crunchy when you consume it hot.
Use greens which are available at home