Mysore Iyengar Puliyogare Gojju
- Wash and soak the tamarind in 3 cups of water overnight. Or boil the water and soak the tamarind for 3 to 4 hrs.
- Extract the pulp to the maximum into a large pan.
- Let it boil on medium heat.
- Dry roast the sesame seeds, allow it to cool and then powder it and keep it aside.
- Once the pulp becomes thick, reduce the heat to medium low.
- Add rasam powder mix well.
- Add jaggery also.
- Let it boil for 10 minutes.
- Add salt.
- Add sesame powder mix well and let it boil for few minutes.
- Finally add oil and let it boil for 8 to 10 more minutes. Or once it comes to the leha consistency or oil comes on the top turn off the heat.
- Now the Gojju is ready.
- Once it is cooled completely store it in the fridge.
Use dark tamarind for a better color.
Remember to cook in low heat.
Stir it in between to avoid the burning.
Be Careful, after you add rasam powder the mix starts spurting the hot liquid around.
For preparing Puliyogare rice, please refer here.
This is also popularly known as puliyodharai.